Saturday, April 17, 2010

Getting to know The Doctor

As a geek, there are a lot of things I enjoy.  But recently, I have had the pleasure of discovering a new one that has quickly become a favorite.  A friend, who happens to be from England, turned me on to Doctor Who.

Now, my friend grew up with this show.  His father was an actor, who had a show on BBC, and my friend even got to visit the set and see the actual TARDIS.  For those who don't know what the TARDIS is, well it is the Doctor's space ship which, due to a broken chameleon circuit, is stuck appearing to be a police call box.

I have to admit, I was hesitant to start watching.  This show bas been around for ages, and I feared I would be lost.  But, much to my delight, I discovered that it is more accessible than I originally thought.  Yes, there are things to learn, but they are easily found on Wikipedia, and elsewhere.  And beyond that, the sbow has a style and character that stands on its on. 

What broke the ice was my friend inviting me and some others over to watch an episode.  He said it was one that would not require any previous knowledge.  I was hooked.  He had suggested I could start with the 11th Doctor when the show would restart.  But, I have been watching the 10th Doctor, and I love them.

If you have never watched this gem of a geek show, the I suggest you do so.  If you are a fan of the Doctor, then you know what I mean.

In either case, Doctor Who is one of the best reasons to have a DVR.  That way I never miss an episode.  I just wish I had started earlier.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Whoniverse!

    I just feel in love with DW this past July (right after earning my master's degree) and I love Ten as the Doctor. I think I will warm to 11 but its taking me a while-- he's so much more alien.
    I too am in America (guess what state) and have been watching DW off and on since Denvention I.

    Allons-y
    stlouisphile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    Yes, the Tenth Doctor will certainly be missed. But the Eleventh Doctor is not bad. I am looking forward to tonights episode.

    ReplyDelete